For those who wish to begin taking boat rides for kite surfing excluding lessons, or haven’t kited in a while. The self-rescue course is ideal for those not used to kite surfing in the area and first time trying kite in a lake. A great opportunity to learn general safety protocols while kite surfing in Lake Como.
We guide you on safety protocols for awaiting assistance by boat. How to place the bar, the kite and body when stationary in the water. Important in time of emergency or in other situations when kite lines require untangling for example.
Ensure full responsibility is maintained when kiting in lake como. Keep happy, keep sporty and keep safe!
- Qualified VDWS Kite Instructor
- 1 hour’s lesson
- Transport by boat – boat and instructor remains nearby for instruction and for transport back upwind start point.
- Kite and board. (Kite inflated on boat using air compressor).
- Life jacket for buoyancy assistance.
- Helmet (incl. audio headphones to listen to your instructor).
- Kite Surfing equipment
- *Pick up at alternative location if staying in Varenna, Bellagio and Menaggio. Drop off at same location or any of the 3 locations.
What to bring
- Boart shorts / swimwear – anything to wear comfortably under wetsuit.
- Adequate clothing for boat journey and weather conditions (hoodie, sunshades and hat). Hand towel useful for afterwards.
- Water, small snack, waterproof phone container, flip-flops.
- Sun protection.
- *Secure location for valuables on the boat.
- Meeting point – Dervio kite school.
(Or otherwise pick up by boat at agreed location by boat).
- Meeting time – 30 minutes before boat departure for greeting and equipment check.
- Return time – 30 minutes after lesson ends.